With summer approaching, you might be thinking of switching on your air conditioning for the first time this year. If so, you’re not alone. In fact, lots of people turn their ac unit on for the first time just as warm weather hits.
But that’s a mistake. You should really switch on your ac just before the warm weather hits. That way you’ll know if there’s a problem with it and have time to fix it before you need it most.
By the end of spring, your ac unit has been off for months. It’s not uncommon for it to encounter problems when you turn it back on again, especially if there are any small problems that happened when you turned it off last year.
If you discover a problem just as warm weather hits, you’ll have few options for fixing it quickly. The majority of HVAC service technicians will only be able to fit you in at their earliest convenience– which is most likely to be at least a week away due to the high demand for air conditioner service in Sandy, UT that time of year.
However, if you turn your ac unit on today, and find an issue with it, a North Star Heating & Air Conditioning specialist will be able to fix your ac unit much more quickly– sometimes even within 24 hours. So why wait?
Here are Some Things to Look At Before You Turn Your AC Unit on for Summer
Before you call for air conditioning service in Sandy, UT, there are some things you can do to keep your ac unit running at optimum performance. Aside from having it serviced twice a year, in spring and fall, here are some other things that you should check for before firing up your system:
- Replace or clean your filter a minimum of every 3 months
- Clear debris and blockages from around your system
- Look for signs of leaks or water damage
- Take a look at refrigerant levels
- Clear away dirt and leaves from around the outside ac unit
- Make certain vents are clear and unobstructed
- Check your ductwork for leaks or damage (or ask us about our duct testing services).
- Make sure electrical connections are safe and secure.
By staying up to date with these things you can help your air conditioning system run more efficiently and will ultimately create a more energy-efficient home.
5 Things That Could Be Wrong With Your AC Unit
There are several reasons your ac unit might not be operating at its finest and could need air conditioning service. Here are five of the most common issues:.
- Your system is low on coolant. The air conditioner requires a particular amount of refrigerant in order to cool the air properly. If your ac unit isn’t cooling, it could be due to the fact that there isn’t sufficient refrigerant in the system.
- Your condenser coils are dirty. The condenser coil is a crucial part of the ac unit, so it’s important that you keep it clean. Dirt and debris can stop your system from working efficiently.
- Your air filter is clogged. A dirty or clogged-up air filter will lower airflow and make it harder for your system to cool your house.
- Your fan motor is broken. The fan motor inside your outdoor unit might be broken if your outdoor system keeps running but doesn’t blow any air through the vents inside your home.
- You have an electrical issue. Electricity has to flow freely in order for the air conditioning to work properly, so if something is amiss with your electrical components, you may need to find an electrical expert to fix it before you can get back to enjoying a cool, comfortable home.
If you find you require expert AC service in Sandy, UT, don’t hesitate to call North Star Heating & Air Conditioning. We are readily available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to get your ac unit up and running in no time.
In Need of Air Conditioner Service in Sandy, UT? Call North Star Heating & Air Conditioning
You really should switch on your ac unit for the exact same reason you’d turn on any major appliance: simply because you want to ensure it works adequately before you actually need it.
If everything appears to be in order, great! You can simply set your thermostat where you really need it and start enjoying cool indoor temps while you await warmer weather to show up in full force. If there are problems, however, catching them early means you’ll have a sufficient amount of time to get them taken care of before they end up being more serious.
Preventative measures are always much better than waiting until there’s an issue to address. This is specifically true when it comes to something as important as your home’s cooling and heating system. Call North Star Heating & Air Conditioning at (801) 285-9282, and let us help you get your ac unit all set for summer.